Friday 17 May 2013

Why I wrote a book about Lagos - Kaye Whiteman

Whiteman

He has been immersed in the world of writing for over 50 years and he is still going on stronger. Kaye Whiteman’s writing prowess has evolved beyond his expectation. His interest in journalism emanated from the fact that he comes from a family of journalists. The former Editor-in-Chief of the West Africa weekly Magazine recently wrote a book about Lagos. Something spectacular about Kaye Whiteman has to do with why he wrote a book about Lagos despite the fact that he has not lived here for up to five years. Entitled: “Lagos: A Cultural and Historical Companion,” the 77 years old European relieves his impression about Lagos when he visited the centre of excellence for the first time. “I flew in into Nigeria when I came on a visit in 1964; the Overseas Airways had to stop in Kano so I passed through Kano and Kaduna before I came to Lagos. My impression about Lagos was different but I found out that it was a fascinating place. It was much different from what it is now. Of course, the population then was manageable in Marina. It was shortly after Nigeria’s independence during the political crisis, before elections in 1964 which was turbulent. A lot of people took me round and showed me a lot of places. When I went to the parliament, I heard them debating about Press Bill, I later went to the Island Club which was booming. Peter Enahoro, the then editor of Daily Times took me to places. Also, Mr Kunle Animashaun was allocated to me to take me to Ibadan and I discovered that it was a remarkable city. I enjoyed the trip.”
With his experience about past and present Nigeria, he decided to write the book based on his understanding about the place. “I wished I lived here so that I can understand it more. West African region was my stamping ground,” he added.
Whiteman sheds light about the kinds of story he heard about Nigeria when he set out to visit the land of opportunities. “In those days, the western press focused about Nigeria’s political crisis. Because it was considered to be pro-western, favourably the British press did not write much about Nigeria’s image but they focused on Ghana’s dictatorial government.”
Compared with what Nigeria used to be in early 1960s, he adds, “Nigeria is a complex country that has continued to expand. The oil boom had a lot of effect on her. She has been through a lot of turbulent times including war. The crisis after the independence in a way could not be avoided. I was always optimistic about Nigeria despite the fact that its differences still persist.”
He revealed that he has interviewed General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd) thrice and has this to say. “He was a fascinating man. I had to ask him a question three times before I got the answer. “
Whiteman has been practising journalism since 1960. “I come from a family of journalists and I see no reason why I should not become one. But I did have two interludes including international bureaucracy which was a mystery to me and still remains a mystery. I was at the Commonwealth Secretariat with the former Secretary-General, Emeka Anyaoku. It was a new dimension to me, but essentially, I am a writer.
“I did a song and I have done poetry which I hope to publish in future. There is a song I intend to perform with Tunde Kuboye. It is titled “Oyinbo where you dey go?”  He added.
Whiteman can speak pidgin but said he wished he could speak any Nigerian languages. “I should have learnt them but I am not smart when it comes to understanding local languages.”
When asked further to know whether Whiteman was his real name, he nods in affirmation and said he didn’t invent his name. On a lighter note, he remembered when he once met a man from Trinidad and Tobago called Blackman. He said people around them said: “Mr. Whiteman meet Mr. Blackman.”
Though, he recently celebrated his 77th birthday, he plans to publish more books. “Just like a famous song, In my mind, I feel 25. At some points, I have been unwell. I did some surgery. I carry on doing what I am inspired to do. In the past 10 years, I have concentrated in writing. When I was the Editor-in-Chief of the West Africa, I was also writing books.”
Whiteman revealed that he has many books he has written for publication.


No comments: