Monday 2 September 2013

I want to be fit at 80 or 100 years -Ngozi Nwosu


Ngozi Nwosu (Photo: BY ADA DIKE)
Veteran actress Ngozi Nwosu, who recently returned from the United Kingdom after treatment for kidney problem, shares her experience with ADA DIKE during her 50th birthday celebration last weekend.
-------------------------------------------

*How do you feel celebrating your 50th birthday?
I feel young and I will always feel young.
*Which of your birthdays is the best?
This should be the best birthday I have celebrated, considering the circumstances and things that made it to be the best birthday.
*When was your birthday?
It was on August 1.
*What was the first thing you did on your birthday?
I was in bed when my friends surprised me by bringing my breakfast in bed which I have never had before. I was glad about it and it was nice turning 50.
*What special gift have you received for your birthday?
I have received the grace of God. That is the first special gift which is the summary of my life. God has given me back my life. It is a special gift. Then the second gift I have received is a wonderful gift of breakfast from my girlfriends in London.
*People were shocked when your health challenge was in the news. Why did it take you long to speak out?
It ‘s nice for me to voice out but I felt it was something I could handle on my own, so it was not as if I turned a deaf ear. I was handling it thinking that it would soon be over until God said: “Oh my daughter, I will handle it the best way for you,” and here I am today.
*What was crazy thing you have ever heard about yourself when you were ill?
There were so many crazy things I heard but I knew it was not true. Now I am 50 years old to the glory of God, so all those rumours are past. In either way, they have contributed in making me alive and strong to prove them wrong.
*What lessons have you drawn from the experience?
The lessons I have drawn from the experience are enormous. Be yourself, believe in God and always help the less privileged because no one knows tomorrow. Today it is my turn; it could be your turn tomorrow. People thought that it was my end, but I want to tell them that this is the beginning of good things for my life.
*How many more years would you like to live on earth?
I want God to be adding more years to my life till He says: “You have finished your work on earth, come home.”
*Have you resumed acting?
No, I only acted in Fuji House of Commotion because I play a key role in it. They run out of episodes due to my absence, so I have to be there to play my part and also tell people that I am still alive and back on track. That was why I went to shoot Fuji House before going back to the United Kingdom for medical checkup.
I still need to rest. If at all I am working now, I will not go into acting fully.
*What has life taught you?
Life is a teacher.
Ngozi Nwosu (Photo: BY ADA DIKE)
*What challenges are you facing presently?
I am fit now but I am walking with a stick till I am fully strong. That is the only challenge I have. If I am working, it will be at my own pace till I fully recover.
*With your wealth of experience about life, what is your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement is my life.
*What have you learnt about health after your experience?
I have learnt that there some things I don’t need to take, especially when one is aging. It is important that you get a doctor or a nutritionist to always educate you what to do and how to take care of yourself.
*What habit would you say causes kidney problem which rampant among the youth these days?
I don’t think that it has to do with age or habit, even some under age children have kidney problem. Let’s pray not to be sick. That is just it.
*What special gift do you want from God?
I want long life from God. I don’t want to live long like Methuselah or live and be blind or be rolling up and down in a wheel or become a nuisance to people. I want to be fit at 80 or 100 years. I also want to live a comfortable life.
What special birthday gift do you expect from family and friends?
(Laughs) I will be glad if somebody will pack a newer model of a brand new sports utility vehicle (SUV) in front of my home as a birthday gift. I don’t want to be like the man that designed Nigerian flag who almost died before they recognized him. I am glad to be part of the people who started movie industry in Nigeria.
*You were lucky to have goodwill or favourable responses from your family and friends who raised money for your treatment. What do you think can be done to save the situation for others having health challenge challenges?
I am happy that the National President of Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) came for my birthday. I am glad that we now have a medical scheme for actors. I hereby urge my colleagues to please key into it because life is important. Sometimes the things we regard as nothing sometimes turn to be something. I know that from the time my health problem started till now, many people have dropped dead but I am here.  I went through death and came back and I am glad that God has given me a second chance, so I am grateful to Him.
*Do you still communicate with your childhood friends?
Yes I do, though many have died while some are still there.
*Who are your friends in movie industry?
I don’t have friends there. You are their friend when you are rich, but you are not their friends when you are not. Most of them are flashers.
*Can you tell us about your family?
I can’t talk about my family because I am here to celebrate my birthday not to talk about my family.
Ngozi Nwosu (Photo: BY ADA DIKE)

No comments: