Sunday 8 December 2013

Why Half of a Yellow Sun was not screened at AFRIFF



Screening of the film from the adaptation of the award winning author, Chimamanda Adichie,’s novel, “Half of Yellow Sun” which was initially billed to be screened at the opening of the just concluded Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF), was cancelled.
Revealing why it was not screened but was replaced by South Africa’s film, “Of Good Report” the founder and chief executive officer of AFRIFF, Ms. Chioma Ude explained that it was withdrawn from the programme after she viewed the film at the Toronto Film festival and felt that it wasn’t much of a war story as widely publicised.”
“We deliberated over three movies to screen at the festival. But I was very sentimental about “Half of Yellow Sun” because my parents told me so much about the civil war.  So, when I attended the Toronto Film Festival which held recently, I saw the film, and it wasn’t much of a war story, rather it was a love story. So, when I returned to the country, I replaced the film with South Africa’s film, “Of Good Report,” Ude said.

No comments: