Monday 27 January 2014

I am destined to be a musician -Azeezat Allen

Azeezat




She went into music professionally in 1999 after taking part in a show called 'Girls Nite Out'. National treasurer of (PMAN) caretaker committee, Azeezat Allen, in this interview with ADA DIKE speaks about Nigerian music industry, her career, marriage and why she likes singing about love.
-----------------------------------------


In a nutshell
Nigerian music industry is a sector that has continued to evolve, thrive and boom more than before. We are really evolving and will soon dominate the world scene. Nigerian artistes are quite talented and creative. They have continued to release songs that appeal to the masses, that is why you can hardly hear a foreign music played at an event these days

How piracy can be curbed in the music industry
If everyone refuses to encourage piracy, it will disappear. You can discourage pirates by not patronizing them. But don't forget that this is not the only form of piracy we have. All these people mentioned in my previous answer are pirates if they don't get licensed by a government approved collecting society like the
Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON).

How Nigerian music industry can be moved to a higher level
When users of music including radio and TV stations, hotels, filling stations, banks, restaurants and other people who use music to improve their businesses, pay for the use of those music, artistes will smile and live better lives and there will be less situations of artistes dying in penury.

What will happen in the entertainment industry in the next five years
I can't really predict that but I know that we'll keep getting better and better. Hopefully, we'll be at the centre stage of the world music industry.

Why my husband and I are active members of Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON]
Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) is a revolutionary organization with the sole duty of collecting royalties on behalf of artistes in Nigeria. Before now, when asked what I will do to curb piracy in the industry, I used to answer that all I need do is support COSON 100 percent. When I was called upon by my people to serve on the board, I humbly accepted because it was an opportunity to do more.

Achievements COSON has recorded so far
COSON distributed a hundred million naira to artistes for music used, which has not happened before in the history of Nigeria. This has also put COSON in the league of top collecting societies in Africa.


Ways Nigerian government can encourage or support entertainment industry
Government should enforce laws that are already in the constitution, laws that will make living better for our artistes, especially laws regarding intellectual property.

Why I took a break sometime ago
I took a needed break to review, renew and rediscover myself.
Right now, there's no stopping. I am back and better. I know my fans have missed me so much and I have lots of work to make it up to them for their loyalty all these years.

Genre of my music
The genre of my music is known as Rhythm and Soul.

In the beginning
I am destined to be a musician but, I went into music professionally in 1999 after taking part in 'Girls Nite Out', an all-girl event organised by Smooth Promotions, organisers of The Headies.

What I am doing presently
I am working on my new video Love Without Language. It is going to be quite interesting because we are doing our best to make it appealing to viewers. My latest video titled My Valentine is enjoying rave reviews while I've also released “Love Without Language” exclusively in Trace TV.

Songs that made me famous
A song that shot me to prominence was “Hold On”. It was in my first album “Simply Magnificent.” People still love that song till date. It was conceptualised by Gbenga Anozie. I love it. Since then, I've released other albums “Born 2 sing'”, “Lovers' Club'.”

Why my husband is my manager
I'm happy working with my hubby as my manager.
Lessons I have learnt about marriage
I have learnt quite a lot of things from marriage which has taught me to move closer to God. I put Him first before anything or anyone. Through marriage, I have learnt the importance of patience, which is an ingredient necessary for one’s marriage to be successful.

Collaboration with my husband
He has featured me on his songs in his own album before. But he was featured in my new video “Love Without Language.” And that's d very first time in my career he's doing so.

In the next five years
Though man proposes, God disposes, I see myself in the path that God has prepared for me.

My challenge
The issue of capital has been my challenge because this business is capital-intensive, and has even grown recently, but it’s not really an impediment, it’s a challenge.

My greatest disappointment
I can't think of any, maybe because I like to remain positive

What drives me on
My belief in God, making my loved ones proud and my belief in the fact that greatness is made up of ordinary people who believe.

My greatest achievement so far
I also don't like to think in that light. I'm grateful to God for every moment.

If my 20-year-old self could see me now, what she would think
Wow! Is this you?

If I had to rate my satisfaction with life so far, out of 10
 I don’t do that, one has to learn to be grateful for the gift of life while praying for a better tomorrow.

My plans for the future
My future plan is to serve my God more, through serving humanity.

My mentor
God Almighty, my mom and my hubby are my mentors.

My growing up
Growing up was sweet. I had nothing to worry about when I was younger but now, there are so many things to worry about as a human being.

Advice to young aspiring musicians
You must be creative to be successful in music. So Pray, work hard and believe in yourself. Challenges may come your way, don’t quit, keep moving till the sky becomes your stepping stone.

Advice to artistes
Artistes should make extra effort to enlighten themselves on their business; a business they hope will pay them millions of naira. I want them to invest in research.

Appreciation
I appreciate all the support from my family, friends and fans. They have continued to encourage me to move higher.

No comments: