Monday 10 February 2014

Ojeikere’s younger colleagues share their encounters with him


Pa Ojeikere

ADA DIKE

Below are some testimonies other professional photographers shared about Pa JD 'Okhai Ojeikere.

His works inspired me -Tuoyo Omagba (Documentary photographer)
Omagba
Pa Ojeikere was one of my foremost mentors and I am sure he was to a whole lot of this generation of photographers. His works have inspired me in so many ways and it was an honour to have known him and exhibited alongside him. He will always remain in our hearts. May his soul rest in peace.


He encouraged me in my work -Godswill Ayemoba, a photographer/photo journalist
Pa Ojeikere was introduced to me a long time ago, but we met physically for the first time during one of his group exhibitions in Abuja to mark the Presidential Inauguration ceremony in 2011. On that day, I spent time reading about his short biography and was fascinated by his deep family relationship as his wife was with him in most images showing hiss travels both home and abroad. When I eventually met him and introduced myself, he gave a little side smile and said keep at it you will find your way sooner than you imagine as a photographer. I left with excitement after a few pictures of him, which I consider a privilege to have till this day. May his gentle soul rest in peace

Weyinmi Dino Okome (Photographer)
Late pa JD okhai ojeikere the pride and icon of Nigerian photography we will miss you . Pa JD as I fondly call him has not just showed me the beauty and art of photography but as put to my knowledge that photography is but a way of life of a people. May his wonderful soul  rest in peace, Amen.

Art flowed in his veins -Jones Odagwe (Documentary photographer)
The demise of Pa JD ‘Okhai Ojeikere is a great lost to the country Nigeria, Africa and the world. Pa Ojeikere is a standard and an icon that every artist should aspire to be like. Art flowed in his veins and he has inspired many and a great inspiration to me. He was a photography genius and has an outstanding personality. The work of late Pa Ojeikere lives on in us the younger photographers that admired and studied his works for years. May his soul rest in the bosom of the lord.

His photographs re-shaped my thinking -Israel Ophori (Documentary photographer)
Ophori
Pa Ojeikere’s kind photographs re-shaped my thinking creative in photography. I will miss him. Another icon on photography from Niger delta is gone. Daddy, rest in peace.

No comments: