Monday 17 March 2014

The urge to paint works and write novels overwhelmed me -Kemi Omowaire



 
Kemi
A psychologist, visual artist, entrepreneur and author of a novel Dead Roses, Miss Kemi Omowaire, first had a background in biological sciences, then went back for another degree in Psychology and decided to be a visual artist and a writer. She reveals why she loves art in this interview with ADA DIKE.
------------------------------------------------------------
You have a science background but settled for art. What informed your decision to do that?
I have always love writing from when I was in school. Though I studied Biological Science and graduated in 2000 from Olabisi Onabanjo University and also have a degree in Psychology from the University of Ibadan (2011), I was supposed to study Medicine. But when I was about to write University Matriculation Examination (UME), I discovered other interests and decided to go for them. Apart from writing novels, I paint too and I love painting. Writing has been part of me that surfaced along the line.

Can you tell us the synopsis of ‘Dead Roses’?
Dead Roses is the maiden novel I wrote. The book tells an interesting story of love, friendship, family, romance, prayer and betrayal. Adebola was betrayed by many including her boyfriend.

What gave you the inspiration to write the novel?
The inspiration to write it came when my cousin told me a story of how a lady was raped to death in a secondary school on a Valentine’s Day. I didn’t meet the lady but she said she was one of the popular girls in that school, so the story touched me and I decided to build a character of my own named her ‘Adebola’. That is why I titled it Dead Roses.

When was it published?
It was published last year, 2013 by Kraft Books Limited.

Why did you choose Dead Roses as its title?
It was not easy. I had many titles after I wrote it but I decided to settle for Dead Roses because of how she died. Some of the titles I chose were: When the roses were red and others but my publisher suggested we use Dead Roses.

What other projects are you doing at the moment?
I have just completed my second book and it is titled “When Everything good comes,” which has a happy ending. It will be released in April ending or May this year.

So have you left the others?
No, not totally, I still love Psychology but I was a part of a literary group when I was in school.

If you were not an artist and a writer, what would you have been doing?
I would have been a medical doctor.

Would you allow those interested in converting your ‘Dead Roses’ into a movie to do so?
Every happy writer hopes to see his or her story being told to other people. Sure, I will.

Who do you look up to in art world?
I respect creative writers because they are in a world of their own. The ability to write fiction is a blessing. I love Chimamanda Adichie and I am her fan.

There is a view that a lot of people don’t read or patronise visual artists. How do you intend to survive with your work?
For me, I have a passion for art, so I know that I will be successful in my craft, though it may not be easy in the beginning. It is what I chose to do. Apart from visual artworks and writing novels, I also do graphic designs and interior designs.

What kind of art works do you do?
Basically, I paint oil on canvas.

How did your interest to draw and paint artworks emanate?
My interest in painting came after my visits to a friend, Bayo. He was studying Physics then and was a visual artist, whom I assisted in painting some works in his workshop many years ago while I was in the university.
One day, he asked me to try and paint something and I did. He was surprised and asked me where I learnt how to paint, I laughed. From there, he would give me a pencil to draw and also paint some works. We started going for exhibitions.
The urge to paint artworks and write novels overwhelmed me as days passed by, so I decided to give it a try. Nothing gives me joy like doing my works because I derive satisfaction in doing them. I believe that degrees are bedrock to start something that will help you build your future.
When I started my second novel, I would write till 2 am and I became used to working late at night. I am doing art not because of money but the love to do it.

Are your family members in support of your choice of career?
When I was growing up, my father wanted me to study Medicine while my brother wanted me to study something else because he studied Law and loves to argue too. I was in science courses so naturally; teachers suggested that I be in a science class. I discovered that if you wanted a child to do a course you feel he or she is naturally inclined, it is not about forcing that child.
I hereby implored parents and guardians to guide their children and let them follow their passion. They can suggest but they should not force them to study course they do not want to do.
When I started writing books and painting oil on canvas, my parents taught they were my hobbies. They still think I should go into medical practice. Psychology is part of me which I may later focus on.
Sometimes I stand on my feet from 7 am till 6 pm painting without eating or resting. So I enjoy doing my work.

How do you sell you artworks?
There are some art collectors I normally sell my works to. I also sell them to individuals.

What is your advice to young Nigerians?
I want young Nigerians to look inward and do something in order to become self-reliant and employers of labour. Everybody can be an entrepreneur. Save small money and learn a trade instead of just going to school to acquire a certificate. Begin from there because it is good to know one or two things that you have learnt. Nobody can take it away from you.

Are you looking forward to winning awards with your novels?
Definitely! Even my publisher will want me to win one or two awards with my novels.

No comments: