Wednesday 21 May 2014

Actors were poorly paid in the 1980s/90s - Barbara Soky



One of the veteran actresses in the make-believe industry in Nigeria, Barbara Soky, began her acting career in the early 80’s when soap operas dominated television programmes on Nigerian television stations. In this interview with ADA DIKE, the Nigerian soap opera queen speaks on movie industry, why she took a long break from acting and other interesting issues.
-------------------------------------
Barbara Soky

Give us an insight to your background
I am from Rivers State. I’m the only child of my parents and I lost my father at a tender age. My mother is the only true friend I had until my daughter came along. I have been acting since in the 1980s.

Which movie or soap opera brought you to limelight?
I acted in soap, ‘Inside Out’ which was a hit in my state, Rivers State. ‘Inside Out’ was an exchange programme from Port Harcourt Television to other states. After that soap, I acted in another one, ‘Mirror in the Sun,’ which shot me to limelight.

Can tell us some of the movies you have acted in after your return?

After I returned to the movie industry, I acted in Wale Adenuga Production’s comedies -‘The Super Story’, ‘This Life’ and ‘Odd World’.
I featured in the ‘Saviour’ which I did with younger actors such as Chidi Mokeme, Chioma Chukwuka Apotha, Rita Dominic and so on. I also starred in ‘Mission To No Where,” and ‘My Desire’ where I played mother to Kenneth Okonkwo and wife to Pete Edochie.
I have acted in some soap operas namely Late Amaka Igwe’s ‘Tempest’ and another one called ‘Secret and Scandals’.
 
Barbara Soky
Why did you take long break in your career?
I needed a break in my career because I had many personal issues to deal with at the same time, so I decided to take some time to sort some things out. I am glad I was able to overcome all the hurdles. Acting is my calling so I am back and better.
Secondly, my idea was more of the soap opera before the movies came, but I have done a few movies. I think it is the right thing to do as one grows older. There are other areas outside movie world one could deal with, so I had to slow down a little and have time to think. I was busy with family, business and other things. In the past four or five years, I have been working. There is no doubt about it. A couple of movies I have done are not out because they are cinema movies. I did one of them ‘My Funds’ with Nollywood and Hollwood actors and it was featured in an international film festival two months ago in Los Angeles, United States of America.
Brother’s Keeper is a cinema movie and many others. I did those ones through hard work and grace of God and I wish to do more.

In the recent movies you acted, did you play the role of a young lady or an older woman?
I don’t know when Nollywood will get to that level, but in Hollywood, a 20-year-old lady can act like a 65-year-old woman in a movie and vice versa, if they are professionals. With make-up, they will remove wrinkles from your body and hide anything that will show that you are old.
Many years ago, there was African-American, she was 45 years old and was made-up to look like a 120-year-old woman. Make-up artist gave her wrinkles everywhere. When you saw her before and after, you wouldn’t recognise her. Everybody has their own area of professionalism, all you need to do is to call the experts and allow them do the magic, and then you go to work.
Unless you don’t have the talent but the mentality of many people is that they don’t want to look old. As far as I am concerned, we must grow old. That you are an actress doesn’t mean you are not going to age. It is wrong for filmmakers to leave talented older actors and go for younger ones. I don’t get! It is the physical body that changed. There was a time you were a kid, now you are an adult. Am I an artiste and feel I may not want to age? No, I carry my age with grace. Whether you give me the role of a mother or a young girl, I will do it.
I acted like a 70-year-old woman in the movie with Hollywood actors. It is the talent that matters. But don’t ask me to jump from the moon (laughs). Of course, I will not do it.

What role did you play in the film (Brother’s Keeper) you acted in recently?
I played the role of Mrs. Nwankwo, mother of identical twins - Chidi and Chude (performed by Majid Michael). They are opposite of each other. One is loving, honest, prudent and innovative while the other is not. In summary, Chidi eliminates his twin brother; Chude not only takes over Chude’s wife, son, wealth, their father’s company but deceives everyone by living as if he is Chude. As a caring mother, I keep wondering why Chidi is behaving weirdly and not even mourning his twin brother. From the stables of Oakfil Productions, the movie was shot in different locations in Nigeria.

What are the challenges you faced acting as Mrs. Nwankwo in the movie?
The good thing about Brother’s Keeper is that, I worked with professionals, so it was easy for me to play my role. I did not encounter a lot of challenges. I worked hard in every movie I am involved in despite the challenges which I encounter in every role. I was happy working with actors such as Majid Michel, Omoni Oboli, Beverly Naya and a great director, Ikechukwu Onyeka, who happens to be my favourite director.

As a veteran, can you compare entertainment industry in the 1990s and the present?
Naturally, the only permanent thing in life is change, so my time and today’s entertainment industry are not the same. In my time, no child dared told their parents that they wanted to be an artiste. I know a few boys then that were kicked out of their houses because they wanted to act. But today, parents take their children to film producers to lobby for roles.
I look at Nollywood by the way they see themselves. I am probably old school but I can learn. The old and the new are good. There has been a lot of dynamism no doubt, more especially; some actors fees come in millions. In my time, you would be lucky if you’re paid N1000.00 per episode. The highest pay in my time was N500.00.
There are a lot of difference in the movie industry in terms of quality of production, acting and fee. We were paid peanuts while actors’ fees today have improved. Most of us in the 1980s and 1990 were passionate about our jobs and did not focus on material gains but for the passion we had for the job. When I featured in ‘Inside out’ in Port Harcourt, I was the highest paid artiste. I was paid the sum of N200. Remember, N200 was a large sum of money then. Generally, there has been an improvement from what acting in Nigeria used to be. A lot of things have changed, even the society has changed.

What would you be doing if you were not acting?
If I was not acting, I would have been doing something God wants me to do. It is just that God wants me to be here.

Are you satisfied with your career?
I love being an actor. You love your job, that is why you are here. Even if you earn billions and you are doing something you don’t derive satisfaction from, trust me, there would be a vacuum because you are doing it out of necessity, not out of love. I am happy with my job which is important and every other thing can fall into place.  

Was there anything like sexual harassment in the entertainment industry during the 1980s and 1990s?
Sexual harassment has been there, all over. It is as old as man. It is in every business, not only in the entertainment industry.

 What is your advice for younger actors?
The future belongs to the younger actors, so I want them to be careful of what they do today because the mistakes they make today may affect them negatively or positively tomorrow. Don’t be desperate to get a role by living a fast life, it kills and destroys.
Quote
The mentality of many people is that they don’t want to look old. As far as I am concerned, we must grow old. That you are an actress doesn’t mean you are not going to age. It is wrong for filmmakers to leave talented older actors and go for younger ones. I don’t get! It is the physical body that changed


No comments: