Sunday 6 July 2014

Why I sensitize prison inmates with music - Lamboginny




Lamboginny



Good news artiste, Yinka Lawanson, popularly known as Lamboginny, in this interview with ADA DIKE, among other interesting issues, shares his vision for organising shows for prisons inmates in Lagos.

===============

What informed your decision to organise a show for prison inmates?
I have organised close to ten shows at the prison, Kirikiri in Lagos, tagged: “Saying no to crimes Musical Concert. Guests include actors, actress, and musicians among others. I organised those shows primarily to use music and the psychological effect of music to sensitise the prison inmates on good living.


Why did you choose music as your career?
I used to live in Togo when I was very young and I had so many friends who were Disc Jockeys, (DJs). Some of them were selling cassettes while others were selling Compact Discs (CDs). That was how my interest in music started. I listened to them play and started miming songs and before I knew what was happening, I began to write my own songs and became a musician.


But you were into secular music earlier on before you started singing gospel music. Is it due to pecuniary gains?
I sing gospel music because I have been a Christian all my life. When I was into secular music, I did collaboration with Osuofia that is Nkem Owoh, Pastor Goody Goody and OJB, among others.
I used to organise shows and some of the shows I organised featured Lord of Ajasa, Basket Mouth and so on. It was fun.
My journey to gospel music began when I woke up one morning in February and there was no peace in my mind. I was quarrelling with everybody around me without understanding what was happening to me. Later, I heard a clear voice that said to me: “My son I want you to do my work and to preach the Good News through music.”
Also, after a session of prayers in the church, our church pastor told me that God said he should tell me that that which I had been looking for will soon be released to me if I work for Him.
I struggled for about two weeks and to God be the glory. Everything became perfect that is why today, I am into good news music.
I don’t really call my music gospel music. I have my own style, Lamborghini’s good news music.


When are you releasing your next single?
Right now my good news album is ready and I have singles including “Ma wo mi,” “I no go lose my head" featuring 16 top Nigerian artistes such as: Olamide, Lara gorge, Jaywon, Mike Aremu, Jedi, Nikky Laoye, Rooftop Mc, AY.com, Slam, Gbenga Adenuga, Hakym D Dream, Kaffy and so on. I was signed to Sax records owned by Yemi Sax in 2012.


What does Lamboginny mean?
Lamboginny is my stage name. That is who I am. I got it from my name which is Yinka Lawanson. Mboginny is a Swahili word which simply means “An African child well brought up”.


Give us an insight to your background
My background is a bit complicated. My mother is from Kwale in Delta state. My father is from the Lawanson family in Lagos State while my paternal grandmother hailed from Ghana. So I am a complete African man.


Are you saying that you are well brought up?
Yes I am.


Who will confirm this statement?
Anybody you ask about me will definitely confirm it.


How was your growing up?
My growing up was very interesting because I grew up with my grandparents in Ikotun, Lagos. It was fun because I was everybody’s baby and I was over-pampered. I grew up with different classes of people- the rich and the poor.



Where will you be in the next five years?
By God’s Grace, I will be one of the popular musicians all over the world.

Do you have any message for your fans?
I love you guys. Thank you for not forsaking me or turning back at me.



No comments: