Monday 4 August 2014

David Steve-Nevenu says : ‘Drawing and painting are inbuilt culture in me'


National Conference

David Steve-Nevenu



This 14-year-old painter is a budding artist who has been drawing from childhood.
David Steve-Nevenu hails from Awkuzu, Anambra State. His father, Mr. Steve Nevenu is into real estate business while his mother, Mrs. Ify Nevenu, is a school teacher.
 “I went into drawing and painting because it is a culture embedded in me. I love art and it is what I do every day.  Anytime I look around me, I always have the urge to draw and paint something. I also draw because I think of my personal needs and using my handwork to make money,” said the Senior Secondary School (SSS1) student of Aaresther Divine Secondary School, Ajao Estate, Lagos.
He said drawing does not affect his studies in school. “I have been drawing since I was in Crèche. Though I am a science student also doing art, since I am good in drawing, it also helps me in my school works, which my classmates admire.”
 Initially, he wanted to study Architecture in the university but has opted to study Surveying in the university. “I will not dump art because it is what I do every day.  It is my hobby.”
Has there been a time your parents tried to discourage you from painting? He was asked: “When I was in primary six, I drew on every paper I saw in our home and on the walls, so my father stopped me. But when I was in Junior secondary school, I resumed drawing and he did not stop me.”
He explains why he drew National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) emblem “My cousin is doing youth service so I drew it when I saw the emblem on her shirt. I used an application in the computer to draw it.
“Also, one of my paintings, ‘Captain Nigeria,’ signifies the military fighting the terrorists’ group, Boko Haram. It is the cover of the other work ‘Boom’ which is a sound of bomb.
“The other drawings are cartoons which I used pen to draw. I also did a work on the just concluded National Conference”
He taught himself how to use painting in the computer to draw. He uses eraser or re-do in the computer to adjust or erase some errors.
Nevenu plans to produce large number of paintings in the nearest future to enable him participate in exhibitions within and outside Nigeria.
He advised young Nigerians to keep themselves busy with things that will make positive impact on people. “Do not hide your talents, be free to express yourselves. “








No comments: