Monday 29 December 2014

I like reading religious, philosophical books - Atife


Atife



Many personal assistants to high society and very important personalities in Nigeria have a n tendency of always warding people off from their bosses. But Mr. John Atife, who has been the personal assistant to Olorogun M.C.O. Ibru for many decades before his retirement in the recent past, has been described by many close to him as a good example of  how a civilized personal assistant should be. In this report, Ada Dike digs out the background of the man whom is still receiving encomiums from those  that are familiar with him, for his exemplary style of relating with people who visited his boss while he was in active service, and even after, and his love for books.
Speaking on his adventure into the office of Personal Assistant to Olorogun M.C.O Ibru, after he was employed unofficially to work in one of Ibru’s offices in Lagos far back 1972, Atife in his characteristic humourous but conservative style, tried every joke possible to make this writer forget the discussion he wanted to have with him concerning his life activities since he retired from serving his kind and philanthropic boss, the owner of Ibru Organisation, Victoria Island, Lagos.
In response to a question about how long he has lived in Lagos, Atife said: “Where I have my peace, I live.”
In a country where many personal assistants to notable people deny others any opportunity to benefitting something from their bosses, the amiable Atife philosophizes that, “It was by the grace of God that I was there. But I don’t know if I did well. How long are we going to be on earth if we can’t help ourselves?”
Considering his capability of living in high brow areas like Ikoyi, Victoria Garden City, Magodo Estate and other notable areas where rich people live in Lagos, the humble man revealed that he lives at Shomolu because he likes relating with people, generally referred to as the common masses. He attributes his living there as the grace of God. The Urhobo man, who originated from Agbarho clan in Ughelli-North Local Government Area of Delta State, also, is a blue blood in Otogor Kingdom, courtesy of his maternal royal lineage.
After series of tactics employed to avoid this writer from giving him what he calls ‘unnecessary publicity,’ Atife finally dropped his guards of conservatism and unveils his background thus, “My father is from Ikwegwhu town in Agbarho clan, while my mother is from Otogor Kingdom. However, Agbarho clan contains a lot of villages, but I grew up in my great grandmother’s place of the popular and very kindhearted Edjefia family in Ughelli-South Local Government Area.
“The Edjefia family has love for children so they allowed me to stay as I am not expected to drag inheritance with them. But my maternal grandmother is from Ekrebuo/Agbon in Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State, which also makes my lineage spread beyond Ughelli-North and South to other Urhobo speaking areas of the state.”
However, when asked why he is not appending prince to his name as his maternal origin is embedded in traditional royalty, Atife responded in his usual humble and unassuming manner, “What does that mean? We did not come from heaven with any title. So what is special about being called a prince? It is nothing but pride. Some chiefs are honorary title holders which do not make them royal people, yet they address themselves as princes and princesses. That is sheer pride.” He is simply called Uncle John.
He also commented about his religion and educational background that, “I am a Catholic. I attended Saint Anthony’s Catholic Primary School, Owo-Olumu, In Ughelli-South. I later attended Saint Williams Modern School Orerokpe in Okpe Local Government Area. Thereafter, I came to Lagos to write my oversea Cambridge General Certificate Examination. I got my B Sc in Business Administration from Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State.
Throwing light on how he became personal assistant to Olorogun Ibru, he said, “Chief M.C.O Ibru’s mother, Chief (Mrs.) Janet Omotogor Ibru, was the one who handed me over to Mr. Panama Okagbare Osadjere, who later recommended me to work directly in Chief’s office, due to my diligence at work. I was employed without writing any application. I rose through the ranks from the position of a stenographer to personal assistant.  
“I started working with Olorogun Michael Ibru since 1972, from a very low position as stenographer and gradually rose through the ranks and became his personal assistant. I did not officially apply to work with him. I was in the audit department and people noticed my hardworking trait. That was how I was drafted to work in Chief’s office.”
While appraising Olorogun Ibru for his personality, Atife said “He is a very kind person. I don’t think we have his type in this country. He is very kind and humble.”
“I have retired from work but life continues. By God’s grace, I am in this new office courtesy of Mr. Peter Ibru who is the chief executive officer of Monigood Investments Limited. We buy invoices from suppliers of oil and gas to companies.”
At this juncture, this writer inquired about the challenge facing oil and gas suppliers in the country. Atife informed that the challenge facing oil and gas suppliers is the delay they encounter for the payment of the products supplied.
On this note, he said, “But when they are in such situation, we pay the suppliers the amount are owed. For example, after your jobs have been completed with an oil company, you no longer have to wait long to get paid by such company. We would after due negotiation and understanding with you, take over the pursuance of payment of your invoices after we would have paid you the full invoice value.”
Beaming on the type of food he eats and his social lifestyle from childhood, the amiable ribs cracker said he does not have any favourite food but avoid eating food that is not good for him.
“I was a good footballer when I was in primary school and also played lawn tennis in my secondary school days. None of my children is involved is sporting activities.
“I also spend my leisure meditating and reading books. I like reading religious and philosophical books for spiritual and philosophical development.”

No comments: