Monday 26 January 2015

Nigerian Make-over Show organiser, Ladon, speaks on his show


Ladon

Prominent male make-up artist, Ladon, in this encounter with ADA DIKE, among other issues speaks on why he chose make-up business which is females dominated business as his career.
=============
Ladi Munis, otherwise known as Ladon, is a male make-up artist and also the Creative Director of the Nigerian Make-over Show, an annual event where different make-up artists gather to showcase their creativity and styles.
Asked why he chose make-up business and fit into such a craft, which is supposed to be ladies’ vocation, he laughed and said: “Of course I know that. I have been in this make-up business for a long time due to the passion I have for it and it is my profession. Shortly after I completed my university education, I realised that I could do well in it and I am glad that I followed my heart,” he explained.
He has hosted many editions of the Nigerian Make-over Show that heralded the appearance of great names in Nigeria’s make-up industry. Ladon, in one of the editions in 2010 named the theme of the show, ‘Roots’ as it aimed to celebrate Nigeria at 50.
That year’s show was the premium make-over show in which artists from many parts of the country participated to showcase indigenous creativity and style.
Ladon stated that: “The Nigerian Make-over Show in the last years has created both national and international platforms for make-up artists to come together and unite as a body. The idea is to give people proper orientation about make-up and to show the world about the rich cultures in Nigeria.
“In the past, some villagers used to apply charcoal on their faces which metamorphosed to today’s mascara or eye-liner. Some of them used palm kernel oil as a lip-liner and cream, that is why I urged some make-up artists during my show to use at least one local product to make people up.”
Speaking further he said: “We normally bring some make-up artists from outside Nigeria to our shows and top Nigerian make-up artists have also participated in our show and they include: Eni Lise, Modela, Vzoren and Nelas, among others.”
So what is the concept of the make-over show you normally organise? He was asked: “It is geared towards empowering the youth to be self-reliant. Skill acquisition is important that is why we should work and appreciate whatever talent we have.
“Furthermore, the idea is to give people proper orientation about make-up business,” he added.
He hinted how the annual make-up shows he normally organises have fared by saying that: “It has been awesome. Notable make-up artists like Sharon (Anita Baker and Lionel Richie’s make-up artist from Washington), Paccion, a make-up artist from Paris, Tara, Bunmi of Unveil and some other make-up artists have participated in the show.
According to him,We use the show to celebrate the make-up artists. When we are talking of movie production a make-up artist goes a long way in beautifying actors. Also, in fashion and beauty shows, make-up artists play vital roles there, so the show helps to bring make-up artists to a union that is up to standard. With my first degree and Master’s in Business Administration (MBA), I can work somewhere else, but this is what I love so much, that is why I am doing it.”
On the kind of make-up products he normally uses at the shows, he maintained that all the make-up artists normally use their own products.  “Tara normally use her Orekelewa make-up products, Paccion from Paris brings her Forever make-up. As long as they have their own brand, they are allowed to use their products just to showcase it too.”
He believed that his last show in 2014 was more successful. “Certainly.  It was better than the former editions because we improved on so many things. Moreover, we had more make-up artists than the previous shows.
“We also used popular venue unlike the previous one in which we used open venue and all the invited guests were well taken care of.
“To spice up one of our shows in 2010, we had seminar and workshop where invited lecturers from the University of Ife, where I did my MBA spoke on small-scale business. Also, there were a lot of musicians and comedians that thrilled the audience at the last event.”
In terms of the challenges he has been facing in hosting his shows, he mentioned getting sponsors as the major challenge. “This is because make-up was not really what we do in Nigeria, but now people are exposed to it and people want to invest in what they know very well. We need sponsors in order to take our business to a greater height. We have been talking to corporate bodies and they promised to come in to assist us.”
Doing a business that attracts many ladies would definitely mean that he has many female admirers, he said he handles them maturely and added that, “initially, my woman used to be jealous before I convinced her that I don’t mix business with pleasure. I normally concentrate on my job without having any romantic feelings for my female customers. The job of a make-up artist requires adequate concentration to avoid making mistakes that is why I don’t joke with it,” he emphasised.

No comments: