Monday 2 March 2015

Modelling was a dream fulfilled - Gwendolyn Okutele


The current Miss Nollywood Nigeria, former Face of Niger Delta and an upcoming actress, Miss Gwendolyn Elohor Okutele said conetsting for a beauty pageant was a dream she had as a child. 
In her words: "When I was growing up, after watching Miss World in 1994, I told my father that someday, I would like to be a beauty queen because I really admired the contestants – the way they cat walked and were interviewed. So he advised me to wait until I grow up.

"Sometime in 2008, he reminded me what I said (that I wanted to be a beauty queen) and asked me to give it try. So I contested for Miss Galaxy (Damsel) in Lagos in which I did not win but won the Amity Award as a friendly contestant. I was angry and felt that I was not pretty or intelligent enough. But it didn’t stop me from believing in myself."

The Adagbrassa-Amukpe, Sapele Local government Area, Delta State born actress, the only child of her parents whose father is a sailor and mother is a trader added that: "In 2013, I was in school when a friend of mine called and informed me that forms for the Face of Niger Delta pageant were being sold but I told him that I was not interested because of the issues I had when I contested for Miss Galaxy (Damsel). He told me that the face of Niger Delta has nothing to do with one’s height, size or weight but just one’s beauty, brain and pictures. “Let your pictures speak for you,” he said. So I decided to give it a try. He bought the form for me because I told him that I was not going to buy the form. I went for the contest, they did the online voting and so on, and as God would have it, I won the Face of Niger Delta 2013/14. When my reign was getting to an end, another opportunity came for me to contest for Miss Nollywood Nigeria which was oragnised by Bk Global Movies through Mr. Barakumo Odede who is based in Bayelsa State.

"When I heard about it, I got interested in it because of the brand – Nollywood. I know Nollywood is the second or the third best film industry in the world today. I saw it as a very big opportunity for me because I have always wanted to go into acting. I said it was the opportunity that I have been waiting for. So I bought the form and participated in the contest and as God would have it, I won."
Gwen Ello
Gwen Ello
Gwen Ello
Gwen Ello
Gwen Ello

No comments: