Thursday 30 April 2015

Chude Jideonwo's shares his thoughts on #365 days‬ commemorative anniversary of the abduction of Chibok Girls

"Earlier today, I joined this inspiring panel for the ‪#‎365Days‬ commemorative anniversary of the abduction of our sisters from Chibok. Today, I decided to share the story I have only told a few of my dearest friends. The last time I was in Abuja, it was for an event for the ‪#‎ChibokGirls‬ at this same hall. As I arrived Abuja, a highly placed official of this government called me and warned me; 'If you go to that hall and sit with Oby (Ezekwesili), you will be finished with this government'. I was so scared it was incredible. I asked the taxi driver to park, I cried out of fear, out of misery, I cried because I didn't know what to do. The psychological terror was unimaginable. What would happen to our business? What would happen to my team? What would happen to my relationships? I spoke to my mother and she told to have no fear - and to go to the venue with faith that God's got me.
"So today when they asked me for my two direct requests on this terrible one year anniversary, there were two:
1, I believe in Buhari and I worked hard for him to win. His priority has to be the girls. It's not his fault that they are missing but on May 29, it will become his responsibility. That's the job he signed up for. So that we can begin to heal and believe in our country.
2. President Goodluck Jonathan owes Nigerians a full and unreserved apology for a) leading a government that allowed Boko Haram grow, explode and thrive b) letting days go by while terrorists drove my sisters from Chibok far into the 'bush' before finally acting, and feebly too c) attacking protesters and citizens who only cried with empathy for our missing girls - his men attacked them, insulted them, belittled them, dehumanized them. If he thinks conceding the elections is enough for statesmanship, it isn't. He violated the public trust. He attacked the core of our shared humanity. He needs to own up and he needs to apologise. I know he probably never will, but thankfully history will not forget.
I pray that the innocent girls of Chibok, and the hundred boys and girls still missing due to government recklessness are found soon, and alive. Amen."

No comments: