Monday 8 February 2016

Our movie, Chalk is a story told "as is" -Oksy Nwankwo


Oksy Nwankwo

 Mr. Okechukwu Nwankwo, popularly known as Oksy, directed and edited a movie Chalk that will soon be released into the market. In this interview with ADA DIKE, he speaks on why they produced the film, Nollywood and other sundry issues. Excerpts:

 ==================================================================

Cast and crew of Chalk
We heard that you will soon release a film in Nigeria. Is it a comic or tragic movie?
Yes, "grab your copy now". OK, let me be serious, yes, it is a tragedy titled Chalk. We took a risk and we are getting positive feedback. We know that the general belief is that people like happy endings but we felt that "too much of a good thing is bad" so we decided to do a tragic movie. We are truly amazed by the feedback. I guess the people are more than we thought.

Can you tell us a bit about the movie?
Our production company, Lucida Pictures, is on a mission to tell our stories in our own creative ways. This story, Chalk, was told "as is". What I mean by that is that you can draw your own conclusions about the movie. You can see the movie and tell yourself what is right and what is wrong.
There are people that like gangster movies, there are those that like horror, those that like action. There are movies in which the protagonist is a thief. Do we say then that it only teaches us how to rob or be violent? Think about it.
We see movies as more a means of showing guidelines than giving instructions. We like to believe that we achieved that with Chalk.
One of our main objectives in producing the movie was to keep it looking as natural as possible that way people can relate better to it.
I remember showing someone the trailer (it’s on YouTube, search "Chalk trailer Lucida") and seeing his reaction at the end of it. I then told him that we really need to sell this movie so we can finish paying the hospital bill for the guy in the accident (haha!). Of course! I was joking but that is just one of the reasons you should see the movie. We set out to tell stories with a different perspective on issues and, we are glad, we nailed it. We are happy that people are happy with the movie.

What message does it convey?
We do not presume to tell anyone how to live their lives. Like I said earlier, Chalk is a story told "as is". We presented a situation and showed how one young man handled it. It is left for you to see the movie and tell yourself how you would respond if you found yourself in such a situation. We believe, from that presentation, more often than not, people will be inspired to make better choices.

When will it be released in the market?
We are working on a deal with a distribution company. By the grace of our Lord, it should be made available on DVD by the end of the first quarter, 2016.

What informed your decision to direct the film?
I have to confess I am, or used to be, a big critic of movies especially Nollywood. I decided that I should do more than just criticize. If there was something that should be done to improve Nollywood then I should start with myself.
As far as Chalk is concerned, I love challenges, I saw it as a challenge and I took it.

Can you tell us some of the challenges you have been facing since you began to direct movies?
There is a saying by Henry Ford, "take the best there is and make it better; if it does not exist, invent it", or something like that. That said, the Nigerian movie scene, as developed as it is, still needs more work. In terms of structure, it is still amorphic. For the most part, one may have to come up with their own solution to things. The talent is there, the tools are there so is the market. Bringing all together and making it work is, to me, the greatest challenge every Nigerian movie maker will face presently.

How did you overcome those challenges?
By the grace of the Almighty. By persistence.

What are you seeing in the movie industry that you don t like?
Maybe it's more of what I am yet to identify. That is structure. There is so much difficulty everywhere. You end up doing just about everything yourself. When I tell people that I also edited the movie, Chalk, I get comments like "shey na Ibo boy, na their way". The truth is that it was borne more out of necessity than desire. Fortunately, I am made better for it and I have no regrets.

How can movie industry in Nigeria be moved to a higher level?
Owing to the constant changes that we see the world over, I would say we must develop a structure. It is important that this structure is flexible and scalable. This will help us accommodate or adapt to changes as they come. The structure should also be solid and outlive the people in the industry. It should always provide equal opportunity for all. I believe, with this, the quality the industry churns out will keep getting better.

Can you predict what will happen in the movie industry in the next five years?
I can try. I feel, the same revolution that overwhelmed the music industry will happen in the movie industry. More people will prefer to see local than foreign content in this country and without.

Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I hope to see myself in a better Nigeria and a better world. Ok, seriously, I see myself with more movies under my belt. I believe I would still be on this journey called success. By the grace of the Almighty, I will be someone that everyone can be proud of.

What is your greatest achievement so far?
My greatest achievement would be self development. Everyday, I can go to bed a better man than I was when I woke up is my greatest achievement.

What drives you on?
Hope, love, belief... take your pick. I think there is this burning passion in me to do more, to be more, before my time here is up (haha!). I love to be part of that positive difference, I guess.

If you had to rate your satisfaction with life so far, out of 10, what would you score?
That is a hard question to answer. Some may say, I practice stoicism. I tend to rate life based on the present. I am optimistic right now, so I'm going for a 10.

What are your plans for the future?
That is a big one. I have many plans but, as far as movie and entertainment is concerned, I would like to grant people the opportunity to show their talents. I am looking at doing something like what AY did with stand-up comedy. Like M.I. said in one of his tracks, "there's enough room in the sky for all birds to fly".

In what place are you happiest?
I read a saying recently, something like, "we are happiest at the completion of a task, not one that is easy but one of great difficulty". I would have to agree. I am usually happiest when I set out to achieve something onerous and I reach my goal. I am also happiest when I make people happy.

Ambition or talent, what matters more to success?
I will have to quote a Bible passage here, somewhere in the book of Ecclesiastes I think (I bet you didn't think I know bible, haha!), "The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong nor food/wealth to men of knowledge but time and chance happens to them all" or something like that. Haven said that, I am rooting for ambition. Like they say, 'if you try and don't succeed, try, try, try again. I would say ambition (and drive) has a better chance of bringing success.

Who is your mentor?
That is hard to say. If you say mentor, for the most part, it was my dad (the Lord bless his soul). If you say role model, for the most part, it is Steven Spielberg. It was his movies and his story that really triggered my "AHA!" moment. I am a real sucker for everything Spielberg. I could eat every single word that comes out of his mouth (just kidding). Actually, I have grown to love works more than the persons. I love a lot of different people's works, I don't even remember some of their names. It is a rare talent to be able to tell a story and affect someone's world view on issues.

Can you give us an insight to your family and educational backgrounds?
Okey's background...hmmm. Born into a family of five siblings (one lady). I am a Nigerian from Anambra State ( I know, "that ibo boy", haha!). I grew up in Lagos (Lasgidi) mostly. Had my primary and secondary school education here (Lagos). My tertiary education at The University of Nigeria, Nsukka, yes (a lion is not a lion because it roars; it roars because it is a lion- I came up with that saying so you can quote me, haha!). I did my National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Jos (a very nice place, I loved the climate).
I came back to Lagos still fully convinced of what I wanted to do. I enrolled immediately into the Pencil and Film Institute (PEFTI), graduated with distinction. Like they say, "the rest is history".

No comments: